Ludwig married? Lives at Donald\'s house

sigvald@duckburg.dk sigvald at duckburg.dk
Thu Nov 14 11:17:26 CET 2002

Rob Klein wrote:

> Tony Strobl drew several stories in Ludwig's own comic series
> (1-4 1961-62), in which Ludwig DID live in Donald's house.
> Though not stated, specifically, it is implied that Ludwig has
> come from Austria (referred to as "The Old Country"), to visit
> his relatives in Duckburg, USA.

As I see it relatives here means his OR his wife's relatives.
His German sounding last name indicates that the most plausible
explanation is that it'shis wifes relatives.

> He stays with Donald first.

Which actually supports Don Rosa's view, since Donald
(after Scrooge who won't house anyone) is his nearest
"relative" in Duckburg. Othervise he would obiously have
stayed at Grandma's farm instead.

> He COULD HAVE ben married at some previous time, but no
> comic book story, children's book or animation reference
> has been made to that (to my knowledge).

Correct, Disney comics SELDOM do that.

> It IS possible that his wife's death

Yes, that's possible

> or divorcing him,

Nope. Why would he go to Matildas relatives if they divorced? Anyway there is enaough family-tragedies in today's world - we don't need divorces in Duckburg too.

> But, it is more logical to assume that he NEVER has been
> married, - otherwise one of the many storytellers describing
> events from his life, would have mentioned that.

I diseagree about this because:

a) Disney Comics seldom mentiones marriages. Just like the Bible
seldom mentiones daughters, sisters, etc. Or do you really belive
that Jakob had 12 sons and NO daughters at all???

b) It's IS mentioned, by Don Rosa in several occasions.

Sigvald :-)