DCML digest, Vol 1 #1138 - 8 msgs

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Thu Nov 14 16:11:30 CET 2002

Kriton:

> This still leaves us in the dark about the correct way to pronounce
> "pizen",
> as this is not in the dictionary!

"Pizen" with a long "i" is in the patois of what is known in the U.S.
as "hillbilly". It is meant to reflect an unsophisticated, poorly
educated, rural character. You can pick this up in its most extreme
stereotypical form in such inexplicably long-running TV series' as "The
Beverly Hillbillies", "The Real McCoys", and "Hee Haw". Even quality TV
such as "The Andy Griffith Show" frequently featured hillbilly
characters rattling on in the best Dogpatch fashion.

And offshoot of this is the Old Prospector, a lampoon of the thousands
of men who swarmed over the American West seeking gold and silver in
the 1800s, and the grizzled "wacky sidekick" that was required baggage
for most every old movie cowboy hero (and was probably an offshoot of
the Old Prospector). Both types of characters speak a brand of
hillbilly roughened by the idea that they've been living hardscrabble
lives in which the very notion of sophistication and education is just
plain incomprehensible.

Just for the record, I've always pronounced "wizened" with a short "i".
Right or wrong, that's how it's burned in my brain.

Gary