Wise wizened wizards

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Fri Nov 15 13:03:16 CET 2002

MICHIEL:

> > incorrectly associating the word "wizened" with the word "wise".
>
> But there must be an etymological connection, mustn't there? The
> pronunciation may not be the same (alright: *isn't* the same) but
> associating the two is maybe not such a mistake after all. "Wizard" also
> has a short vowel.

Here's what the Merriam-Webster dictionary has to say on the etymology of
these words:

Wise: Middle English, from Old English wIse; akin to Old High German wIsa
manner, Greek eidos form, idein to see

Wizard: Middle English wysard, from wis, wys wise

Wizen: Etymology: Middle English wisenen, from Old English wisnian; akin to
Old High German wesanEn to wither, Lithuanian vysti

Thus, it would seem that although "wizard" and "wise" are related,
"wizen" if from a completely different root.

> Ask Harry. No, the other one. (uh-huh, saw-ree)

What would he know? He still has three years of studies left... ;-)

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"Of course I'm paranoid--everyone's trying to kill me."
-----