hew haw's not so hidden appeal

john garvin jgarvin at bendcable.com
Fri Nov 15 17:54:21 CET 2002

Dan wrote:
** As for HEE-HAW, I don't have the same fondness for that show as many do, but
I understand its appeal.  It was not the least bit topical in its humor, and
the laughs were often forced (to say the least).  But it reached out to two
different audiences.  One just liked the cornpone jokes, blacked out teeth,
freckles, and absence of anything that made them think too hard.

The other, probably smaller audience tuned in to see all that and realize
that the show was lampooning itself. **

Heh, don't forget the appeal of the half-dressed Hee Haw babes.  That's why I watched it as a kid. :) That's also why I watched Laugh-In, its supposedly more sophisticated counterpart, which was topical in the extreme, but otherwise shared almost every trait it had with Hee Haw.

jg