The other Daisy

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 16 13:36:36 CET 2002

GARY WROTE:

> My reference to "Granny Clampett" in my previous posting begs a
> question: as the character referred to the family patriarch, Jed
> Clampett, as her son-in-law, what was her actual last name? If memory
> serves, she was referred to more than once during the course of the
> series as "Granny Clampett", which was either a error on the part of
> the characters who called her this (though they were never corrected as
> far as I can remember), or that was her last name as much as it was
> Jed's. In the "hillbilly" milieu from which these characters emerged it
> would not have been remarkable for close cousins to marry (the strict
> legality of it is quite beside the point), so common last names would
> not be too uncommon. But was this actually the case? On a network TV
> show of the 1960s?

AND I REPLY:

Granny's real name was Daisy Moses.  And before we finish this off-topic
thread, the Clampett clan was from the Missouri/Arkansas Ozarks, but
Granny's side of the family was from eastern Tennessee, placing her origins
closer to the Smoky Mountains.  There are still many pockets of the Kentucky
and Tennessee hills where people still speak the closest dialect on the
planet to that spoken by the contemporaries of William Shakespeare.  What
most people believe to sound "hick" and "hillbilly" is truer to its English
roots than the English spoken in the rest of America.  So is the music still
played there.

Maybe if we asked them they could tell us how to pronounce "wizened."

Dan