WDC poster editions

H.W.Fluks@kpn.com H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Tue Nov 19 18:33:41 CET 2002

Merlin Haas wrote, some time ago:

<<
  About the closest thing to an insert in older US Disney comics
would be the poster editions of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories
351-360 from Gold Key about 1970. These were printed in two versions,
one with a centerspread pull-out poster on heavy paper (many drawn by
Paul Murry, if I  remember correctly) and a regular edition without
the poster.  I think each edition had a different cover price, but
would have to check to be sure.

We Inducks people did some investigations, and came to surprising
conclusions!

1. The poster version has cover price 25 cents, the ordinary version was 15
cents. (And the poster version has cover code 30041-xxx where the ordinary
version has 10011-xxx.)

2. This is a list of the titles of the ten posters in WDC 351-360:

WDC 351: Goofy and His Goof-Kart (This is *not* a reprint nor a remake of
the cover of OS 1201)
WDC 352: Uncle Scrooge (redrawn version of the cover of US 40)
WDC 353: Mickey and Pluto [PL tries to jump through a hoop]
WDC 354: Donald Duck with Huey, Dewey and Louie (redrawn version of the
cover of WDC 197)
WDC 355: Gyro Gearloose [Head-scratching machine]
WDC 356: Mickey Mouse [Mickey's polo shirt has a lot of small Mickeys]
WDC 357: Uncle Scrooge (redrawn version of the cover of US 19)
WDC 358: Scamp [SC plays leapfrog with three frogs]
WDC 359: Disney on Parade [MM with top hat in balloon]
WDC 360: Dumbo and Jiminy Cricket [JC on a swing hanging from Dumbo's trunk]

All are in portrait format except #358 which is in landscape format.

3. The Gyro poster in WDC 355 was sketched by Carl Barks! I think this
poster was never mentioned in any Carl Barks index before! (So this *could*
be an INDUCKS "primeur".) The poster was reprinted in Denmark in AA1971-06
(See http://www.seriesam.com/barks/dc_aa7106u.jpg - this is part of the
website http://www.seriesam.com/barks/).

4. The Mickey Mouse poster in WDC 356 (1970) is very similar to a Dutch
poster, published in 1969. There's also an Italian version, published in
1971. The dates suggest that the Dutch poster is the original, unless there
is an earlier common source for all three.

--Harry.
(Thanks to Martin, Thomas, Armando, David, Daniël!)