OT: flibustier

Goofy313g@aol.com Goofy313g at aol.com
Tue Nov 19 19:54:02 CET 2002

even I can't tell you for sure what it is, i'm gonna look in a dictionnary to
tell you the exact sense. i think it's kind of old french... Don Rosa's
arpine luséne would probably employ this word in his speech (if he hasn't
already done this), as in french, his french accent is translated into a
speech with old and weird french words... it's also a word employed by
Captain Haddock from Hergé's TINTIN..
so the exact definition is : pirate in american seas in the XVIIth and
XVIIIth centuries by extension, it means rogue, deceiver,...AOL's translation
of the word is "pirate". I think Haddock's exact terms were "flibustier de
carnaval" (carnival flibustier)