Gilles: RE: Duck family tree (here we go again!!!!) [need help from Brazil and Italy]

Arthur Faria Jr. arthurfaria at projesom.com.br
Wed Nov 20 05:20:03 CET 2002

Gilles wrote:

> according to inducks:
> in B 890020 , we meet Gyro's great grandpa
> in S 71333 , a look-alike beggar cousin of scrooge
> in B 930046b, gloria's mother
> in B 910212 , grandma's cousin
> in I TL 2066-2 , a new cousin (if it's not fethry)
> in I TL 2288-5 , a new cousin (if it's not sgrizzo)
> in B 910264 , daisy's great aunt (by name only, i presume, but what's her
> name?)
> in S 73075 , a stingy scotch cousin of scrooge
> in B 830141, scrooge's great uncle captain patatinhas (by name only, i
> presume)
> S 85215 's title is "grandfather oak", so i presume there is a relative
> imost of these story hae only been published in brazil or italy. i'd want
> brazilian and italian dcmailers to confirm all this, and to provide
> informations and/or scans of the characters quoted if it's possible. thank
> you very much!!!

I can confirm those Duck/Gyro relatives from the B-coded stories.
But please keep in mind that all of those Brazilian
relatives were created *without* any intention of matching official
family tree(s) and/or to preserve any continuity; they were
created just to fill the needs of a specific story plot -- this
is simply the way Brazilian stories are/were usually made!

> in B 890020 , we meet Gyro's great grandpa

In this story, Daisy time-travels to the year 1889 to
interview Gyro's great-grandfather Neco Pardal, since Gyro claimed
that he invented the automobile at the same time as
Carl Benz (Daisy also needs to find out who was the unknown founder of
Duckburg's Women Association in the same year). But Daisy discovers that,
while Benz invented the vehicle with internal-combustion engine,
Gyro's great-grandfather had actually invented a car with an
"external-combustion" engine, which was a complete failure since
there's no brake capable of stopping a car driven by such engine.
Drawn by Irineu Soares Rodrigues and written by Arthur Faria Jr.
(hey, it's me!)

> S 71333 , a look-alike beggar cousin of scrooge

The first story where this beggar cousin of Scrooge appeared
may be (as far as I know) S 70121 "Too Many Mcducks"
(drawn by Tony Strobl) where he is kidnapped by the Beagle Boys
who think he's Scrooge.
He appears in at least five S-coded stories (some of them are
Brazilian art-only stories) and in (at least again) three
B-coded ones.

He looks exactly like Scrooge, but is a beggar who never mind about
money. In his probable lastest appearance (S 82120 "The Real Scrooge"
- art by Jaime Diaz Studio), although, he behaves like a villain,
kidnapping Scrooge to take his place... That is all I know about him.

> in B 930046b, gloria's mother

Gloria's mother Pascoalina ("Mamma Pascoalina" -- apparently
of Italian descent) appears only in this story, where Gloria
takes her boyfriend Fethry to meet her, who runs a pizzeria.
Of course she doesn't like Fethry at the very first glance,
and tries to make Gloria marry with one of her costumers,
owner of a cheese factory. But he chokes with a pizza
made by Fethry and Mamma Pascoalina has to carry him to
the hospital, leaving the pizzeria in Fethry's "qualified"
hands. Drawn by Luiz Podavin.

> in B 910212 , grandma's cousin

Called Teobaldo, he is a middle-aged duck who pretended to
be dead just to get rid of his debt collectors, living then
hidden in his own little country house (near Grandma's farm)
and scaring people acting as a headless ghost...
Drawn by Verci de Mello.

> in B 910264 , daisy's great aunt

As I said, Brazilian writers didn't mind about family trees... so in
this story we have *three* "non-official" Duck ancestors:

- Daisy Duck's great-aunt Clementina
- Scrooge's great-uncle Pat La Tinhas
- Rockerduck's grandfather Pat Von Concius

Daisy finds manuscripts of her great-aunt inside an old piano, thanks
to Donald who broke it trying to move it. Those manuscripts
(hidden in sheet music) tells when the Scrooge's great-uncle had
to run away from the men of Rockerduck's grandfather and then left
with Daisy's great-aunt a golden ladle made with all gold he prospected.
He never returned to her, and Daisy then finds the ladle in her
own basement disguised with a coat of paint. But she also finds
out that the ladle belongs to uncle Scrooge, who takes it.
In the end, Daisy promises in her diary to search another "family secrets".
Apparently the writer intended to make more stories with this character,
but it never occurred.
Drawn by Atila de Carvalho.

> in B 830141, scrooge's great uncle captain patatinhas (by name only, i
> presume)

Only cited by Scrooge in this story, Captain Patatinhas was a great
explorer and sea captain whose sailing ship got stuck somewhere
in the North Pole's ice in the beginning of the 20th century (exact
date unknown). Patatinhas and his crew survived but never proved
they had reached the Pole. Now Scrooge is his only heir but to get
the inheritance he has to find the old ship and bring back to the
lawers some object from it in order to prove they have found the
ship in the North Pole.
No more info about him (since it was not important for the plot)

Drawn by Irineu Soares Rodrigues and written by Arthur Faria Jr.
(me again!)

You can find scans of those characters at:

http://www.projesom.com.br/afaria/ancestors/

Hope it helps!

  -- Arthur.