Scrooge's beggar look-alike cousin (Arthur/Rob)

H.W.Fluks@kpn.com H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Fri Nov 22 13:40:49 CET 2002

Rob:

> Regarding the lookalike cousin of Scrooge, who is a beggar:
> I seem to recall
> something similar in the early 1960s (or very late 1950s),
> drawn by Jack
> Bradbury.  It was a story with a bum (beggar) that looked just like
> Scrooge.  I
> don't think he was related to Scrooge. I believe it was an
> S-coded story.
> Perhaps you remember that one, Harry?

This might be:
W DD   30-02, 14 pages, Fallberg/Bradbury, no title
[desc:Pokerface mine] [xapp:DD,HDL,GL]

The guy's Dutch name is Jeremias Borstel. German: Schwindolar Schwan.

The story was reprinted in ZP 150, and this version will be used in a future
Dutch DD Extra.

Arthur:

> If this is the character we are all talking about, then
> this is probably his first appearance, and his real
> name may be there...

DD 30 was published in 1953, while the other beggar cousin stories were from
the 1970s. So there may not be a connection at all, just coincidence.

--Harry.