Canon fodder

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Sat Nov 23 18:00:53 CET 2002

Vic wrote:

> Lars wrote:
>
> "I think you're confusing the terms "canon" and
> "universe". As far as I
> understand it, "canon" means whether or not a story
> actually happened."
>
> This is not what "canon" means. In a literary sense, a
> canon is a body of work, or a set of writings,
> accepted as definitive, or genuine. It has nothing to
> do with "whether or not a story actually happened".

I tried to clarify exactly what I meant by "actually happened", but it
became too longwinded and boring. The point of my now-deleted rambling
was that I agree with you regarding the definition of "canon" - you just
put it better (and clearer).

> As far as I am aware, no Duck comic has "actually
> happened". The stories are fictional.

I agree. *All* Duck stories are fictional, as is the universe they take
place in. And the Duck universe has had hundreds of co-creators who
sometimes contradict each other. Which is why (as I've stated earlier),
I don't see any point in claiming a particular Duck story is "canon" and
another one isn't.

If I don't make any sense, it's because I'm tired.

Lars