Errors in the COA database

sigvald@duckburg.dk sigvald at duckburg.dk
Fri Nov 29 14:53:45 CET 2002

Thomas Pryds Lauritsen <thomas at duckburg.dk> wrote:

> sigvald at duckburg.dk wrote:
>>
>> During the recent work with my "Don Rosa Scandinavian
>> Story Index" I discovered several errors and lack of
>> information in COA's Don Rosa Index files.
>
> As you probably know, the COA has all of its information based
> on the Inducks database. When something is added to Inducks,
> it is automatically added to COA shortly after.

Well, OK, but still they are two separete sites.

>> These errors are:
>>
> [missing first publications]
>
> The Inducks bases its first publication data on the actual
> publications of the story. It takes all publications it knows of,
> and finds the one that was published first. What has happened is
> probably that those issues don't have a publication date (or an
> insufficient one), so if you could provide the first publication
> issues of the stories too, that would be great.

I'll give you more information - I have still my notes!

> > m) D 2002-033 "The Dream of a Lifetime" is missing.
> > The necessary Information is found here:
> > http://duckman.pettho.com/sc_story/d2002-033.html
>
> The reason is probably that the story has not been published
> yet (or only barely has). It will appear, I can assure you
> that.

I know this! That comment was just menat as a little gag
to make my mail look a bit kinder.

>> And finally I think that COA is TOO SLOW - TOO OFTEN!!!
>
> Too slow in what way?
>
> With new issues and stories?

Oh no, I think it works well that way!

> Or, slow as a website?

Indeed. It's slowness slowed my work down...

> Yes, I know it is. Unfortunately, currently there is not much
> to be done about it, other than to wait a bit. COA has a *lot*
> of visitors every day, and each search takes up a lot of machine
> power.

I am not referring to the search function - I think that one
works well enough.

The problem is the frequent lack of access to
concrete COA-pages like:
http://coa.duckburg.dk/coa/c1/story.php/0/AR+102//_

Sigvald :-)