Nephews and nieces

sigvald@duckburg.dk sigvald at duckburg.dk
Tue Oct 29 11:01:50 CET 2002

Hi all!

SIGVALD:
>> The children of your cousins are *not* your nieces or nephews
>> (as long as your cousin is not married to one of your siblings).

KRITON:
> This sounds a bit like the argument that Grandma Duck is not
> HD&L's grandmother: technically correct, but essentially wrong.
> I don't know whether there is a term for one's cousin's children
> in English (there is an obscure one in Greek, meaning "little
> nephew"),

In Norwegian there are the words "fillenevø" and "filleniese" which I quess can be used like that.

> but I consider the children of my various cousins as my nephews,
> and the only reason that they don't call me "uncle" is that I've
> asked them to call me by name!

Well, in Norwegian we will only adress uncles, grand uncles, etc. as "uncle". Just like HD&L adresses both Donald (=uncle) and Scrooge (=grand uncle) with uncle.

And when it comes to Grandma Duck it's obvious that "grandma" is something everyone keeps calling her (even Gus, Daisy and Gyro). In that particular case a family-characteristica has become almost like a public name og tittle. Just like many English spoke about the late Queen-mother as "mother" (they used to sing "happy birthday to mother" *not* happy birthday to Elisabeth).

Sigvald :-)