Disney comics data on www.comicguide.de

H.W.Fluks@kpn.com H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Tue Sep 3 09:48:13 CEST 2002

Cord:

> There has been some speculation that the data found on the new website
> Comicguide (http://www.comicguide.de) contains data copied from the
> Inducks database (http://www.inducks.org).
>
> The info on Disney comics is an extract of
> the thoroughly researched database which German comics expert Lothar
> Schneider created in years of research.

If it's only an extract, I wonder which information is not on the website.

> He owns or has access
> to each of the actual issues so the data is very reliable. [..]
> This also means that the data presented on www.comicguide.de is _NOT_
> taken from the Inducks database in any way. If there are parallels
> between Inducks and Comicguide this is simply because both
> describe the same issues, of course.

There *is* data in Lothar's index that can *not* be derived directly from
the comic itself. Especially writer's credits from before they were printed
in the comic. And for these, Lothar *did* copy information from Inducks. We
have found some specific cases where data can *only* be coming from Inducks.

> He even wrote summaries
> of the stories and his database may be even more complete and
> informative than the Inducks'.

The summaries, and the scans, are indeed more extensive than Inducks can
offer. On the other hand, Inducks contains lots of other information that
Lothar doesn't. So cooperation would be the most logical (in stead of trying
to protect own data with scary copyright notices).

> In fact European publisher Egmont/Ehapa
> sometimes asks for specific info from Lothar Schneider's database if
> they have questions regarding certain stories.

Yes, like they also consult Inducks a lot. And maybe other sources.

> For all fans of Disney comics this means that the Comicguide site is a
> great new source to find new data and verfify infos.

Yes, but probably the fans will notice that Inducks is more correct on some
places. For instance because Lothar used an *old* version of Inducks for
some of his data. 8-)

--Harry.