Don Rosa sequel stories

lgiver@postoffice.pacbell.net lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net
Wed Sep 4 11:28:05 CEST 2002

            I certainly never expected to be debating Don Rosa about
the definition of a sequel story.  Don's definition of a sequel
requires that the reader have some familiarity with the original
story or the sequel won't make sense.  Such as square chickens
being returned to Plain Awful, or how it came about that there
were a billion bottle caps in Tralla La.  But as a reader, I didn't
have such a strict definition, and considered a story that followed
up and expanded on a Barks story to be a sequel.   Surely
The "Last Sled to Dawson" was the first of several sequels to
"Back to the Klondike".    Quoting Scrooge:  "...pack your
bags, boys!  We're going back to the Klondike....AGAIN!"
(page 10, panel 4 of Last Sled).  So of course I considered it
a sequel; even the ducks knew they were in a sequel, and
Scrooge announced it to the readers.
           Now I wouldn't try to make the case that every story
built on a Barks reference is a sequel.  For example,  I didn't
consider "Oolated Luck" to be a sequel to Barks' "Turkey
Trouble (WDC&S 75)" just because Donald Duck has a
can of oolated squiggs (page 4, panel 4) in that story.   That
can was incidental to Barks' story, and the 2 stories have
nothing else in common.  But I was very impressed that
such a tiny detail in Barks' story could inspire such a fun, new
story.
           And thanks again, Don, for autographing my copy of
the German edition of Scrooge Life & Times, parts 1 & 2.
                                    Best wishes,  ---Larry Giver.