Correction: Not Fort Bragg

lgiver@postoffice.pacbell.net lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net
Sun Sep 22 21:38:15 CEST 2002

My prior post exploring the possibilities that the Russians
were involved in Duckburg early history mentioned the
Russian settlement fort at Fort Bragg, California  It was in
fact Fort Ross that I had in mind that I remembered
visiting.  It's near the Russian River, north of San
Francisco.  Established in 1818, the very year that
Don Rosa had Fort Duckburg being attacked by "a
passel of Spainyerd soljers" (page 5, panels 5 & 6 of
His Majesty, McDuck).  In fact, at that time the Spanish
had insufficient resources in northern California to keep
the Russians out, and maintained the peace via some
arranged marriage.  The Russians gave up on their
settlement around 1840, and sold the fort to Sutter, who
started the California gold rush 8 years later.
        Fort Bragg was an American fort established in
1857.
        The Russians were still active with trading activities
and fur-trapping in Oregon and Washington until
they sold Alaska, so for Duckburg purposes, you can
imagine a damaged Russian ship carried south by the
current, and coming aground near Duckburg, which was
very small at the time 1852-1860.  Remember the old movie,
"The Russians are Coming!", when a Russian submarine ran
aground on the coast of Maine, I think it was?  By analogy,
the locals at Duckburg could be frightened and believed
themselves under attack, and Stonewall Duck drove them
off.
      For earlier history, Barks had a Spanish galleon bury
treasure in Duckburg's bay, as they were worried they
would be captured by Drake.  That must have been in
1579, when Drake sailed up the Tulebug river.  Huey,
Dewey, and Louie financed a retired sailor to dig up that
treasure in WDC&S 155, "Some Heir over the Rainbow"