DAVID: A Blast from the Past...

xephyr@cwnet.com xephyr at cwnet.com
Tue Apr 15 05:48:25 CEST 2003

I was browsing the Net looking for some information when I stumbled onto
this old page still hanging out there in cyberspace:
http://stp.ling.uu.se/pipermail/dcml/1993-September.txt

While re-reading it I came across this old posting from David (which I
shortened a bit):

> From: David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu (David A Gerstein)
> Date: Mon, 27 Sep 93 20:41:41 -0400
> Subject: Political Correctness; also, Egmont's Mickey
>
> 	Dear Harry (and everyone),
>
> ....<snip>
> 	I've had a nutty idea to adapt a story I once did with my own
> characters for Mickey... as a Mouse story, it would involve Mickey
> traveling to Europe with Goofy and *Butch*, his early pal from "Circus
> Roustabout" and a few others from that time.
>
> 	I have also gained permission to use Mickey's rival Mortimer
> and/or Minnie's lazy cousin Ruffhouse Rat as Gladstone-like foils for
> Mickey.  What do you think?  No such stories are as yet in the works.
> (Although an idea has *just now* sprung into my head....!)
>
> 	Your friend,
> 	David Gerstein

I'm curious to learn about Ruffhouse Rat.  I know how you've revitalized
Butch, and am familiar enough with Mortimer, but I know very little about
Ruffhouse.  Was Ruffhouse ever revived?  How often is he used?  Would he be
considered a recurring member of Mickey's supporting cast?  A regular
member of Mouseton?  How is he related to Minnie and how was he originally
portrayed by Gottfredson (if it was Gottfredson who created him)?

Thanks,

Rich Bellacera