Barks Censorship

DYER,SONIA (HP-Cupertino,ex1) sonia.dyer at hp.com
Thu Apr 24 06:55:40 CEST 2003

Dane Martin wrote:

>I seem to remember reading an older Gold Key issue that featured a Barks
>story where Scrooge searched for a jade elephant that featured many
>lighthearted parodies of various races of people, and strange
almost-violent
>acts, which I found somewhat startling (for a Duck comic) when I read it a
>few years ago. I'm not sure why...
>
>I don't recall hearing much about the story since, or seeing it reprinted.
>Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and has it been censored? I can
>definitely see something like that upsetting the "Disney is CLEAN FAMILY
FUN,
>I say!" attitude the current Disney seems to attempt to be pushing into our

laps.

As chance would have it, I just happen to have read that old Gold Key story
last weekend.  I didn't notice any light-hearted parodies, but a very dark
parody of what seem to have been revolutions and counter-revolutions in
either Thailand or Burma of the time.  What I was definitely struck by most
was that the oriental duck that our heroes befriended (the country's prince
incognito) deliberately set up Scrooge to be captured and probably killed as
a diversion for his own purposes.  Not at all what I would have expected to
read in a Disney family magazine.  I've never seen it reprinted - maybe
that's why.

    Sonia