Reply's to the "I hate new ideas" posts

Geo geodiaz_79 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 02:04:41 CEST 2003

This is why I never end up posting, but I guess if I'm going to get in this I'm going to need to go all the way.

"I'm an American and Blum's "wicca" references were pure gibberish to me, nor do I want to have them explained. Also, almost all of the computer talk was over my head; I'm literate enough in computers to use them, but all the pseudo-jargon that flys around is pretty meaningless to me--and I think most other people are the same way."

Please please please do not make the rest of Americans look ignorant.  If you don't understand something look it up, thats what most of us did when Barks would write about Pizarro or Holograms or terms we didn't understand when we were children.  I for one try to learn something new everyday and every moment that I can, and I know I'm not the only one.  I realize that your mentioning of America was in reference to a direct question, but that along with blatant ignorance (flat out not want to learn something) just crystallizes the stereotype.

"And fads like this wicca nonsense aren't going to be popular for long..."

You just insulted a Religion.  I do not practice it myself but already one other DCML member posted that they did.  I assume from your post that you were unaware of the fact that it is a Religion.  Now you are.

"I know, I know, but those are *fictional* stories by Barks -*Fictional* even in a Duckburg context."

I look at Barks' work as a whole because he created all of the stories, and even in stories where Duckburg does not have a space port there's still technology far outside of the 1950's there.

So far I have simply addressed how Barks work was not stuck in 1950 concepts, opinions on which stories count and which don't are subjective.  Objectively they were not set in any kind of stone, not in time nor continuity nor every geography (Duckburg changed in almost every book).

Aside from all that, and addressing the story in question directly, bringing new stories into more modern terms while keeping the characters the same is as difficult as assembling the Carl Barks universe into an arc.  If you want to know how hard that is to do ask Mr Rosa.  This is Blums first story printed in the US, if we (the Disney Comics Community) judged Don Rosa by his first work we would have judged him far before his greatest work (let alone whats still to come from him).  Was this story good, was it bad, it's all a matter of taste really.  I for one am looking forward to more from him, and since he has been around American Disney Comics since the beginning of Gladstone he has earned his place.

What I find most ironic in all of this is even after 300 years if you mention Wicca to the wrong people they'll still burn you at the stake.  People are always people I guess.

Geo