Religion in Shacktown

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sat Aug 9 15:16:29 CEST 2003

DAN SHANE to RICH BELLACERA, 09-08-2003:

> Some of us have had to accept the morals of tales like
> 'Christmas in Shacktown' without embracing the religious
> foundation behind them.

Are there references to religion in Barks's "A Christmas for
Shacktown"? (OS 367) Christmas trees and the presents have
no connection with any religion, as far as I know.

There were christmas parties before christianity existed, to
celebrate that the shortest day of the year (21 december) was
over. I think that's the kind of christmas party where the
Shacktown story is about. Or have I overlooked some religious
ingredients?

--- Daniël

P.S. Maybe commerce is a religion, too? The biggest and mightiest
religion on earth, in fact?