SV: Sigvald and (his new windmill) Blum

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Mon Aug 11 00:09:15 CEST 2003

Daniel van Eijmeren <dve at kabelfoon.nl> wrote:

>> If Blum wants to do modern stories set in the
>> 21st century he should come up with his own
>> ideas and not use Barks' name to get attention.
>> From what I have read on DCML before Blum uses
>> vague ideas from Barks as basis for his
>> stories apparently in order to get attention.
>
> Let's convert it by filling in another innocent
> name. A name that will sound familiar to you,
> so you hopefully and finally will understand
> how *unreasonable* and *mistaken* you are about
> other creators:
>
> "If (Rosa) wants to do (old-fashioned) stories
> set in the (1950s) he should come up with his
> own ideas and not use Barks' name to get
> attention. From what I have read on DCML
> before (Rosa) uses vague ideas from Barks as
> basis for his stories apparently in order to
> get attention."
>
> See? Doesn't sound very nice and reasonable,
> does it?

No, it doesn't look reasonable, because it isn't reasonable.

Fact is that Don Rosa's stories are marketed as just that: stories by "Don
Rosa". The G. Blum story published in DD&Co last year was marketed as some
kind of a new Barks-story which it IMO wasn't.

On the other hand - recently I visited AC Sivebæk and read "Somewhere in
Nowhere" - that was a great story which IMO rightfully deserve it's credits
to Barks - I wish that it would be published in Scandinavia soon.

"Horsing around in History" is another great Story that IMO deserve it's
credits to Barks. So are the handfull of stories which Dan Jippes has drawn
based upon sketches by Barks.

Did you get my point now?

Sigvald