Katie Sullivan: obscure name changes

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at student.rug.nl
Mon Aug 11 17:33:25 CEST 2003

Katie Sullivan:

> My reaction?  I would be slightly annoyed, as that name
   [O'Gilt, Goldie's last name]
> is slightly more well-known than "Emily" as Ms.
> Quackfaster's first name, but I still wouldn't lose any
> sleep over it.

I would tend to argue that Goldie's last name is,
contrariwise, an even more obscure 'fact' than Miss
Quackfaster's first name. Goldie's last name O'Gilt did,
afaik, only appear 'hidden' in a newspaper-cutting in
Scrooge's scrapbook in the opening splash panel of Lo$ 9,
while Miss Quackfaster's first name Emily appeared in a
*textballoon* in Lo$ 11, after Scrooge asked *explicitly*
for this specific piece of information.

Do you see what I mean? The obscure name 'Emily' has imo a
better chance of jumping to the eye than the only slightly
more obscure name 'O'Gilt'.

I hope you don't take my mail too serious. :)

By the way, I liked your 'Webbed Bliss' story!

Michiel Prior.