Comicbooks in the USA

Geo geodiaz_79 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 00:49:44 CEST 2003

I'm going to try to start a thread in here, lets see how this goes.

Well, Disney comics are finally being published in the US again.  This is something that we (American Disney comic fans) have been looking forward to.  The comicbook market in the US has been very erratic for quite some time, but due to current trends in Cinema the general public is once again starting to put some purchasing power back into comics.  What does this mean for Disney comics?

Well Disney comics got a lot of new readers back in the late 80's due to TV exposure with DuckTales.  In the early 90's the whole comicbook market boomed and people were buying 100 copies of the "Death of Superman" as investments.  The logic was totally flawed for more reasons than I care to get into and the market crashed hard.  Many publishers were lost during that time, but Gladstone not only came back (Disney had started producing the books themselves due to the industry's revenues and quickly bowed out when it went down hill) but they hung on till the end of the decade.  Gladstone had been selling well before the boom because it brought in readers not investors, and it was also the reason they kept going when other folded.

Now we find ourselves in a situation where once again new readers are entering the market due to showing comicbook characters in a more mainstream medium, this time it was movies.  The formula that worked for Gladstone is now working for Marvel, and whats good for one in this industry is good for others.  It's only a few feet worth of space on the rack between Spider-Man and Uncle Scrooge after all, the major issue is getting new readers in the comic shops to begin with.  With the biggest issue to new readership taken care of to a degree, the next step is to get these new readers to pick up Ducks along with Mutants.  How do you do that, I ask?  What are some opinions out there?

Geo
(Jehovany Diaz)