One mail - many topics!

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Wed Aug 13 04:32:43 CEST 2003

SIGVALD GROSFJELD to me, 12-08-2003:

>>> Barks didn't say that. In the comments to Lo$ chapter X, Don Rosa
>>> says though, that the Bin couldn't possibly have been raised in
>>> 1886.

>> Rosa has *never* been a source for Barks' stories. (The only
>> possible exception would be Barks' 1990s script-only stories.)
>> So, this is a Rosa-fact. No Barks-fact.

> Not a "Rosa-fact", just a "Rosa-opinion" and thus a very qualified
> opinion – not because he is a great artist himself, but because he
> has read and studied Barks' stories for almost 50 years.

Still, that doesn't turn Don Rosa into Carl Barks, or vice versa.
You seem to think they're interchangeable. That's my point. They're two
*different* persons, with *different* views, and *different* perceptions.

Carl Barks = Carl Barks
Don Rosa = Don Rosa

And there are many *more* Barks experts who have their own qualified
opinion on Barks. Don Rosa certainly isn't the only one. Can you accept
that, Sigvald? Yes or no?

SIGVALD GROSFJELD to MARK S., 12-08-2003:

>> The same way it would IMO be wrong to set a Poirot or a
>> Ms Marple story to 2003.

> Has anyone here read Archie Comics? In the 1940s, Archie took place
> in the forties. In the 1990s, Archie took place in the ninties. Now,
> Archie and his gang are all in high school circa 2003.

> What has this Archie to do with Poirot or Ms Marple who was used in
> my example?

What has Poirot or Ms Marple to do with Carl Barks?

The way Mark describes the Archie Comics, they have the same "modern
time" concept as Barks's.

I think your Poirot or Ms Marple example would fit with *Rosa*.

> Anyway let me give you all a new example:

New homework? Does it really make you crazy if people just don't agree
with you? Is that so difficult to accept?

Why do you need to go on and on with your attempts to make clear that
something is wrong with (this time) Blum's opinion and intentions?
You sound as if you have something against Blum in a personal way.
Blum must bleed for something, it seems. Why are you doing this, Sigvald?

> Elvis Presley did what was modern music from the 1950's until the
> 1970's. [...]

Who's the first to fall into this trap?
Let's hide in the bushes and see!

But in case anyone is really interested in hairsplitting this new example,
please go to an Elvis Presley mailing list or elsewhere. This is OFF-TOPIC!

--- Daniël