Multiple Personality Ducks

danshane@bellsouth.net danshane at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 13 17:24:04 CEST 2003

DANIEL WRITES:

> I find it enjoyable when characters temporary go out-of-character, as
> part of a (good) story plot.
>
> For example:
> - Gladstone having bad luck
> - Donald being a millionaire
> - Scrooge being bankrupt
>
> I find it interesting to see how the characters behave and
> interact in
> such exceptional situations. Like the reader, they're not
> used to their
> different status and they have to find a solution in an
> everyday world
> that suddenly is strange to them.

AND I RESPOND:

I agree that it's fun to see these "fish-out-of-water" scenarios explored, but I don't think that the instances you cite actually change the character traits that Rodney was referring to -- only their circumstances.   Gladstone would have to be consistently *unlucky*, and Donald and $crooge would actually have to pull a 'Freaky Friday' and change places psychologically to be completely out of character.  Scrooge has been poor and I seem to recall Donald being wealthy in at least one story.  And Gladstone's luck has worked against him in at least one instance I know of.  But that did not change their basic personas.

Dan