More on Character Consistency

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Wed Aug 13 22:18:30 CEST 2003

DANE HOG to me, 13-08-2003:

>> I find it enjoyable when characters temporary go out-of-character, as
>> part of a (good) story plot.
>>
>> For example:
>> - Gladstone having bad luck
>> - Donald being a millionaire
>> - Scrooge being bankrupt

> But, to me, this isn't "going out of character."

Now you say, I've used the wrong wording. I meant characters being in
situations where they normally don't belong, and/or in a temporary
different state of mind or mood (like hypnose or wrong potions).

In Barks's garden party story, Daisy and the nephews misbehave as
monkeys (like drunk humans in real life?), while Donald has invited
important citizens and someone from the press among them. (WDC 91)

In the money allergy story (WDC 124), both Donald and Scrooge are in
different situations. Donald is rich, and Scrooge has temporary lost
everything. Basically, this puts them in each other's lifes. Another
such story is "Double Masquerade" (WDC 280), in which even Donald's
and Scrooge's appearances visually are exchanged. Donald looking
like Scrooge, and vice versa.

In the temper story (WDC 64), and the child psychologist story (WDC 92),
the nephews become master of Donald and his house, putting the normal
parental hierarchy completely upside down.

> To me, such examples are being confronted with *plot* differences,
> as opposed to differences that effect the actual characters. Would
> Scrooge react apathetically if he went bankrupt? Would Donald save
> his money if he became a millionaire?

That's indeed what I meant. And such "plot differences" also have
resemblances with real life, which is what makes them interesting
for me. (How does someone react to different situations, etc.)

--- Daniël