"Life of Pete" again!

Gerstein, David DK - ECN DGE at ECN.egmont.com
Fri Aug 15 11:02:58 CEST 2003

	Hey Sigvald,

>Michiel Prior wrote:
>
>> What I'm trying to say: This is probably the
>> way I'd like to see such a "Life of Pete"
>> being written: tying together various 'facts'
>> given in classic stories and cartoons and
>> portraying Pete as a rounder character than
>> the 'evil villain' he used to be.
>
>If that by any chance means ignoring all the classic tales by Gottfredson
>and Murry it would IMO make a "Life of Pete" pretty much nonsense.

	Michael refers to "tying together... 'facts' given in classic
stories". I think when Michael says "classic stories", he MEANS Gottfredson
and Murry tales.
	By the way, I ask you again please not to treat Murry stories as
being by Murry only. Murry is an artist. He didn't write them. Carl Fallberg
and Don Christensen, among others, wrote many of the best Pete stories drawn
by Murry.
	Romano Scarpa is another great Pete story creator.

>I am not sure if that would be smart. Marco Rota once tried to write about
Donald's life. Many people, even here at DCML, think that he failed because
he didn't knew enough about Barks' views about the relations in the
Duck-family

	I know a lot of people who think Marco's story is UNUSUAL, and they
may not agree with all the points in it, but that's not the same as calling
it a total FAILURE. Sigvald, who are the other DCMLers you refer to?

>Furthermore I think that, even though most often undeserved, Italian Disney
comics has, due to the high output, got an assembly-line mark on it. I would
therefore prefer that a well qualified American, like our friend David
Gerstein, to do such an important job - but that's just my thoughts.

	You could say ANY high output of stories has an assembly-line mark
on it to some degree. S-codes, D-codes, H-codes, W-codes, B-codes... the
list goes on and on. But all of these production units also make, and have
made, a large number of good, classic stories. I don't see how the Italians
are any worse than anybody else in this regard.
	In particular, I ask you please not to criticize them on MY
behalf... though I know you're trying to pay me a compliment (and thanks for
that!).
	You know, Sig, a few of my own favorite Pete stories are classic
Italian stories.

>Anyway the most important issue here IMO, is that whoever selected to do a
"Life of Pete" should care as much about the works of Gottfredson and/or
Murry

	...and Romano Scarpa, who IMHO contributed as much to Pete as the
other creators you cite. My Egmont colleagues Byron Erickson and Andreas
Pihl have also done some excellent Pete stories in recent years.

	Best wishes,
	David