Italian Mouse stories [and Scarpa]

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at student.rug.nl
Fri Aug 15 13:58:01 CEST 2003

It's funny: I tried to discuss Italian Mouse stories,
someone mentioned the only Italian artist he seems to know
about and suddenly we're in the middle of yet another
familiar, chewed-out and often-repeated discussion about
grandma-and-scrooge-as-siblings and
do-ducks-hatch-from-eggs. Sure, a Rota story is a worthy
subject for this mailinglist, but somehow it's always this
particular Donald's-birth-story. Nothing new here.

So, let's try and get back to my original subject:

Marco Rota also drew Mouse stories, which I've never seen.
Judging from his Duck stories, I would expect his Mouse
art to look more traditional, more 'American', just like
Danish and Dutch Duck artists look at Carl Barks for
reference.

The other, 'new' Italian artwork often looks totally
different and imho more exciting. Judging from the stories
in "Topolino Noir", Giorgio Cavazzano or Corrado
Mastantonuo could do great things on a project like
"Life-of-Pete", with proper respect to, for example,
classic Gottfredson or Scarpa stories.

Dane <danehog at aol.com>:

> Personally, I'm not a big fan of Scarpa's Duck work. [...]> the characters just don't have any... *substance* behind > them. I'm sure Scarpa is a perfectly capable artist, as a > whole, but there's something about his Duck style that
> just doesn't work for me. It's just so... generic. Still, > it could be *much* worse. Perhaps I'm just not "used" to > his style yet. I don't know. Whatever the case, I'm not
> much of a Scarpa fan. (Can you tell yet?)

> [...] The coloring seems much too "light" for his
> stationary style, giving it an obnoxious look that almost > gives me a headache. I'm sure Scarpa's work looks *much* > better in black-and-white.

I have to admit that I needed to get used to his drawings
before I could appreciate it. My first reaction was: "This
is bad! The characters show strange facial expressions and
are much too 'jumpy' (display a sort of 'elasticity')."
But then I read the story over and over and when I got
used to it, his style actually worked. I had the same with
Toby Strobl and what I used to call 'these weird modern
Italian artists'. The difference being that I *love*
Cavazzano and *appreciate* Scarpa.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Scarpa's work.
I hope other members will join this discussion.

David Gerstein:

> Michael refers to "tying together... 'facts' given in
> classic stories". I think when Michael says "classic
> stories", he MEANS Gottfredson and Murry tales. [...]
> Romano Scarpa is another great Pete story creator.

Well, yes, I meant Gottfredson and Murry and Scarpa, but
to be honest: I'm only familiar with Gottfredson. Please
tell me about Murry and Scarpa.

And I'm sure there must be many others. I don't think such
a 'Life-of-Pete'-series should strictly refer to the works
of two or three authors only, although I admit it wouldn't
be an easy job and such an restriction could serve as a
useful 'boundary'. References to cartoons like "Steamboat
Willie" would also be nice (like Tito Faraci did). The
choice of a workable boundary would also depend on the
preferences of the artists, of course.

Oh, and David, I liked your expansion on the various
versions of the 'Foul Fellows' Club' from the Wolf
stories.

Michiel Prior.