Italian version vs American version of Duckburg

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sat Aug 16 21:52:28 CEST 2003

Søren Krarup Olesen <raptus at stofanet.dk> wrote:

>> a) The Italians have completely redrawn the
>> Money Bin, they either don't like or they
>> don't respect the original look Barks once
>> gave it.
>
> This word "respect" is beginning to give me
> the creeps, Sigvald. As if your repetitive
> "name & reputation" statements weren't enough.

I am very sorry. I didn't mean to insult or annoy anyone by my remarks about
Italian comics.

> Besides, the "Italian" Money Bin looks mostly
> the same as the Barksian Money Bin.

Maybe sometimes, but take a look a panel 1 on page 121 in the last
"Jumbobog". This is on page 1 of the story coded I-2438-6. There you can see
that the "Italian" Money Bin both looks very different from the Barksian
one, both in it's shape and in it's coloring. The Italian Bin even has a
large dome on the top of it.

>> b) The Italians have completely redrawn Miss
>> (Emily) Quackfaster, they either don't like
>> or they don't respect the original look Barks
>> once gave her. Or perhaps $crooge's secretary
>> in the Italian stories is a new character?
>
> I don't think she is a new character as such,
> but she has indeed developed a little bit.
> Sigvald, please try to understand that many
> subordinary characters do change as time
> changes. The original Rockerduck as presented
> by Barks in the 60s has developed into one of
> the most significant and important character
> in the Italian stories.

Yes, but that's OK because Barks didn't use him anymore. On the other hand I
don't appreciate versions of Flintheart Glomgold that contradicts the
standards set by Barks – like him living in Limpopo Valley in South Africa
and having his own Money Bin with a pound sterling sign on it. That's
because Barks used that character a few times in his long stories and thus
IMO sat his standards.

> Characters *do* develop, Sigvald.

I know that, but I also know that not all development is to the better.

Sigvald