Barks consistency

Klartekst info at klartekst.no
Mon Aug 18 01:22:47 CEST 2003

Barks was not consistent when it came to details. For example, in
"The Lemming with the Locket" the money bin looks quite
different - although it still seems to be located on Killmotor Hill.

But the CHARACTERS are consistent, right? Well, yes and no.

To me, the lack of consistency in the Barks Ducks is part of the
magic of reading the stories. Donald is cocky and childish
in one story, and a responsible parent in the next.Scrooge
is a ruthless businessman one week, and reduced to a
nervous, worrying wreck a week later. Does that mean they are
not the same persons from week to week? Of course not! It simply
means they have complex, multi-layered personalities like the rest of us.

It also means that although we feel we know them, we can never
PREDICT them, and THAT'S what make Barks' stories so great.

Leonard Nimoy of Star Trek fame was once asked why his
Mr. Spock was so popular. He said he thought it was
because he made the alien so open to interpretation that anyone
could read into the character exactly what he or she wanted (he
used the words "open texture").

So for myself, I don't want a duck universe where everything is
nailed down. I want an open texture so that I can do some
creating myself when I read the stories.

Did that make any sense at all? If not, I'm sorry. It's late but I just
had to get this off my chest.

Nils from Norway