Nephews' origin again

Gerstein, David DK - ECN DGE at ECN.egmont.com
Tue Aug 26 11:57:08 CEST 2003

	Gerd, Timo and others:

>According to what I have gathered from various sources, it was indeed Al
>Taliaferro who first came up with the idea of giving Donald three
>nephews (possibly inspired by the Three Little Wolves story which
>Taliaferro drew for the Silly Symphony strip). I do not know if
>Taliaferro and/or Osborne had already worked out this idea to a more
>complex story concept. However, it seems that the character design was
>done entirely at the animation department; also, the names Huey, Dewey
>and Louie were not Taliaferro's idea.

	I've got WDC&S 523, with an extended article about Al Taliaferro.
Among other things, it confirms all of your facts:
	* Taliaferro "suggested that the [Disney] Studio create three
nephews for Donald and feature them in a short. The idea was accepted, and
in February 1937, the story department sent Taliaferro a memo congratulating
him on inventing Huey, Dewey, and Louie."
	* Mrs. Lucy Warrick, Taliaferro's widow, explains that Mickey's
nephews and the Big Bad Wolf's original three sons served as her husband's
inspirations.

	Reading between the lines here: Taliaferro simply suggested that
nephews be created, without going into any more specifics than we can be
sure of. The cartoon story crew then created the names (and models?) of HDL,
which Osborne and Taliaferro used.
	This explanation would make story man Joe Sabo not the guy who came
up with the idea for the nephews full stop, but the guy who simply shared
Taliaferro's February 1937 suggestion with the rest of the story crew.
Sounds sensible to me.

	David