AW: On Gottfredson's Mickey Mouse Strips

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Wed Aug 27 03:20:44 CEST 2003

Cord wrote

Olivier wrote:
> In won't sell mine. So yours will be "only" half  what it could be.
> Nyaaaaaaaaah  :D

Only if you were willing to sell your copy - which you are not, are you?
An If you were I would be forced to send my trained termines to eat
your copies.

>> I believe that old masterpieces like the Gottfredson MMs,
>> like Krazy Kat, like Prince Valiant, like Popeye should be public
>> domain. This is the only way to ensure their survival, especially
>> if the old copyright holders deny reprints. They belong to our common
>> cultural heritage just like the works of Homer and Dickens.

> Good point. Legally, though, the problem would be the definition of
> "masterpiece" and "part of  the cultural heritage".

Any work of fiction/art/invention in general should (and does, to my
knowledge) become public domain some years after it's creators death,
regardless of it's quality or importance.

> It was very expensive for me as well. A splendid present I
> made myself for passing the (highly) competitive exams to become a teacher.

Same here. A late present for myself for landing my first job five
years ago.

Cord

88o)  <- Mickey Smiley ?