DCML Digest, Vol 6, Issue 68

BFOSTERLA@aol.com BFOSTERLA at aol.com
Wed Aug 27 19:12:48 CEST 2003

In a message dated 8/27/2003 8:43:38 AM Pacific Standard Time, Shaun Craill
writes:

> in addition to the copyright protection, all of the different cartoon
> characters owned by Disney have been trademarked, which is something that does not
> expire as long as Disney uses those trademarks (characters) occasionally and
> they are still recognised and identifiable within their respective trademark
> category.

I think you're right, Shaun. Another interpretation of the rules could be
that you'd be able to use any material that's out of copyright and in the public
domain as long as you don't show the character. So I guess you could go
through all the old strips and white out the Disney character and, unless Disney has
trademarked the backgrounds, you'd be safe. Maybe.

<< Disney does not add a date tag to any claim of copyright like you see in
most books.  << Instead you will only see the copyright symbol and next to it
the word DISNEY.

Which makes it a real problem when you're trying to find a date for
historical accuracy.

Bob Foster