Trick Or Treat

Frank Bubacz frankbubacz at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 31 13:43:12 CEST 2003

Daniel:
>I don't know if the broom is alive in the animated cartoon, though.

It is.

>BTW. Is Donald also sceptical towards witches in the animated "Trick or
>Treat"? Or is it something that Barks put into his comic boom version?

Apart from the first encounter between Donald and Hazel, when Donald thinks
she is a child in disguise, there's no hint in the animated short that he
doesn't believe she's a witch. He just acts rebellious, because Hazel hurt
his pride.

For those who are interested, here is a list of Barks' own ideas he added to
the storyboard he got (I'm referring to the original 32-pages-version of the
comic):

Most importantly, Barks added EVERYTHING that happens between Donald locking
the door on page 15 and locking the very same door on page 25.

Other, less significant changes:

- the graveyard in the foreground of the opening panel (in the short it's
just tree stumps)

- page 3: HDL visiting somebody else than their uncle

- page 14 top half: all of the ghosts that don't look like bedsheets are
Barks creations

- page 30/31: Same scene as in the film, but Barks added the suit of armour.
Is it because animated cartoon characters can bear more violence than comic
heroes?  ;-)

-page 32: the conciliatory ending (in the short it's just HDL waving
goodbye, while Donald is still k.o.)

So all in all, apart from the major addition in the middle, it's actually
very close to the animated short. In fact, every single gag from the film is
in the comic.

Frank