Gyro Gearloose's self-awareness

jadorno@jjay.cuny.edu jadorno at jjay.cuny.edu
Wed Dec 17 18:39:47 CET 2003

There are many gags about Gyro's fees for his services being ridiculously low. I always thought his main concern was to just be able to work on whichever idea pops out of his head before it begins to stagnate, and be able to have the resources available to pull it off. If he can keep working and live well comfortably in order to pull off his inventions then there's no problem.

And as for Launchpad, I always thought of him more as a parody of the Indiana Jones "making-it-all-up-as-I-go-on-an-adventure" character rather than as "Donald's replacment." He doesn't even make his first appearance in the Ducktales pilot until the adventure with Scrooge and Donald in the Andes mountains. A better argument could be made about Fenton Crackshell as a replacement for Donald than Launchpad.

Joseph Adorno