Gyro's First Invention

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Thu Dec 18 11:25:46 CET 2003

Halvor:

> I liked the idea of using Gyro to get Scrooge's money out, as using
> the toy-train would be a much too slow method.

I disagree, really... In "Christmas for Shacktown", Scrooge got nothing but
what he deserved, didn't he? If there is a "bad guy" in "Christmas for
Shacktown", it's Scrooge. And the bad guy should be punished, shouldn't he?

As we're getting close to Christmas, the name Scrooge makes me think of the
Dickens character. Was Dickens' Scrooge a bad guy? Oh yes, sure he was. Did
he get a punishment? No. But that is different, as "A Christmas Carol" is
the story about how Ebenezer Scrooge _changes_. He's laughing and having
fun in the end, throwing a great party for everybody. Our Scrooge throws a
great party too - but he doesn't take part in it himself. He never wanted
for the children in Shacktown to get a toy train. Money was everything that
mattered to him, and the only reason he sponsored the christmas party was
that as a reward for the nephews finding a way to get all his money back -
and he never meant to give that much, either. He only cared for his money.
He DESERVED the punishment he got - he didn't "lose" his money, but it will
take him 272 years to get it back. Is Scrooge as a result of that a poor
old man? No, with that toy train he can fetch out more money in an hour
than a normal man earns in a year! Still, to get all his money back he had
to wait 272 years. That was the punishment he got, and in sympathy with the
children of Shacktown I can only say that I think he deserved it.

Besides, as both Carl Barks and Don Rosa (and many, many, many others) have
said or shown: Scrooge has plenty of money in the bank! The banks refuse to
take any more of his money, that is how rich he is! Don Rosa has also
written a few places that the money in the bin is Scrooge's personal
memories and the money he never uses - so why would losing this money
result in his companies shutting down and Scrooge going bankrupt?

> Using the think-box to make Little Helper intelligent was another nice
> idea, and if I'm not mistaken, the think-box also worked on Gyro
> himself, making him even more brilliant than he was before his little
> accident.

Hm... that's almost a paradox. Personally, I think that a person smart
enough to make a machine that makes himself smarter (accident or not) is
smart enough as it is. :-)

> This
> makes me wonder that maybe it's not completely correct to say that
> Little Helper was his first success, but rather the think-box, as it was
> this invention that made the creation of the helper possible, and also
> most likely boosted Gyro's own intellect.

But the think box wasn't finished until later...

> Halvor
>

> This email with attachments is solely for the use of the individual or
> entity to whom it is addressed. Please also be aware that DnB cannot
> accept any payment orders or other legally binding correspondence with
> customers as a part of an email.

Good to know!

Olaf the Blue