Free Comic Day: How do the comic stores get them?

JTorci3511@aol.com JTorci3511 at aol.com
Tue Feb 4 13:56:20 CET 2003

Rob and/or Nancy McCallum wrote:

"I just talked to my local comic store and they see no listing for the Disney
free comic in the January (or Feb) order forms?  So how do they actually
order it?"

It is featured on PAGE 12 of the FEBRUARY, 2003 issue of Diamond Comic
Distributors' PREVIEWS Catalog.

My comics retailer (Bailey's Comics of Lindenhurst, NY) was helpful enough to
actually point this out to me, when I asked.  Please direct the attention of
the employees of your comic shop to do the same.

Also, a bit of advice to everyone... DON'T RELY ON YOUR COMICS RETAILER TO
AUTOMATICALLY ORDER THESE.  Be proactive and specifically request them.

Not every retailer is obliged to participate in Free Comic Book Day - and not
all of them will. Those who do are not obligated to order and distribute
EVERYTHING offered by the promoting publishers.  The Gemstone DONALD DUCK
ADVENTURES (...as much as WE all love this stuff) may not be considered a
prime offering by certain retailers.  So, speak to them and express your
preference as soon as possible, as the ordering deadline appears to be about
February 15.

Thanks to the diligence of my retailer, I've pre-ordered both the DONALD DUCK
ADVENTURES and BATMAN ADVENTURES Free Comic Book Day offerings.  I'd
recommend that anyone who desires any specific item associated with Free
Comic Book Day do the same.

Oh, and it also wouldn't hurt to make your retailer aware in advance of your
desire to purchase the coming line of Gemstone Disney comics -- and maybe
even start a "Pull or Reserve List", if one is offered.  In this day of low
number ordering by retailers, it might be the best way to ensure that you get
the comics you want.

Joe Torcivia.