Birth of Ducks

Donald D. Markstein ddmarkstein at cox.net
Mon Feb 17 17:14:30 CET 2003

> Just because Gus Goose has the last name "Goose", and Grandma Duck has
"Duck"
> does not prove to me that they are from different species. I have the
family
> name "Klein", but I am not small as men go. Surnames in this parallel
world do
> not necessarily mean that those beings are members of, or their families
> originated from that particular species.

You are correct that just because Gus's surname is "Goose" doesn't mean he
actually is one. That's why I didn't cite Donald's cousin, Gladstone, as a
non-duck with a blood relation to a duck, tho of course one DOES wonder how
he happened to come by the name "Gander".

However, irrespective of names, Gus DOES happen to be a goose, at least to
the extent that Grandma is a duck. He's no more similar to the ducks than
Clarabelle is to Horace, and that's a pairing you cited as a clear example
of bestiality.

Of course, we ALL know that, as you state, they can't POSSIBLY be mere
different races of the same species. After all, look how similar all the
different races of dogs in our own world are to one another.

I'm reminded of a series in American DC comics of the 1940s, J. Rufus Lion.
Rufe is a lion, as implied by the name, and his wife is a chicken. Their son
is a giraffe.

Quack, Don

Today in Toons: Every day's an anniversary.
http://www.toonopedia.com/today.htm