Disney TPBs

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Sun Feb 23 01:07:20 CET 2003

The trade paperback (TPB) is an attractive format: The customer gets a
lot of pages for his money and the publisher has a better return on
investment. The trend away from comic books (20-30 pages) towards trade
paperbacks (80+ pages) seems to be quite universal. It had started here
in Germany approximately two years earlier than in the U.S.
Traditionally European comics mostly meant comic albums (a format like
the Barks Library). In Germany we had a huge growth in the number of
newsstand issues 8 years ago. But for the last 4 years publishers are
gradually switching back to the higher priced TPB format.

I have a question to all regarding the selection of stories in such
TPBs: Would you prefer TPBs which concentrate on a single creator, each
reprinting only his stories, possibly in chronological order? Or would
you prefer a mixture of stories by different creators in each issue?

Cord