DCML digest #1273

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Tue Feb 25 15:36:12 CET 2003

> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Bernard=20Slaa?= <slaab14 at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: Don Rosa stories in the Dutch weeklies
> in nr. 27
> of 1999 there whas a little mini-comicbook
> was Don's "The Cowboy Captian of the Cutty Sark".
> In the numbers 13
> and 14 of 2001 was the story: "The Three Caballeros
> Ride Again" and in the numbers 21 and 22 of last year
> (2002) was the story: "The Crown of The Crusader
> Kings".

I'm wondering what to think about this practice. Are they using these mini
comics to promote the monthly EKSTRA? If so, of all the stuff in the EKSTRA
to reproduce in *extra tiny* size, why would they pick the most detailed art
that is *already* being printed too tiny even when it's in a normal sized
comic? Should I be complimented that they think that's the best they have in
the monthly? But any readers would look at those mini-comics and think "Gah!
Why would I want comics that give me a headache to look at and read?!"
But at least it's nice to see the Dutch use the continued versions of the
stories when they should, rather when they shouldn't, as is always the case
in EKSTRA.

> This isn't well known by you, Don Rosa, because you
> never got copies of your work that where published in
> other countries as you've said many times know.

*Don't put words in my mouth!* I never said that! I said that only the Dutch
publisher does not send me copies of my work. All other publishers whom I
have any contact with ALL send me copies. I don't get copies from Hungary or
other eastern Europe or Asian countries because I have no contact with them
and they are still of the pre-1980's mindset of Disney comics publishers
that seems to regard the stories as falling off trees or pulled up from
wells, as if the writers and artists are non-existent. But all central and
western European countries not only send me copies of my works but send me
at least one copy of *every* issue of their weeklies/monthlies, and
sometimes (France, Italy, Norway, Greece) send me up to 5 copies of
everything. (Yes, standard publishing practice is to send the writer and
artist 30 copies of each publication, which might mean I should get 60? But
I'm happy to just get 1.) However, even when I directly request it, the
Dutch publisher refuses to send me even one copy. Harry Fluks supplies me
with those, bless his lil' heart. (Maybe he'll have some for me in Napoli
next week!)
Oh, yeah. Then there's that darn American Disney publisher. They haven't
sent me a single comic in nearly 4 years!!! I sure hope they start again
SOON!

> By the way, for Dutch readers of the mailing list,
> I've a good hunch that Don's story: Giro's First
> Invention will be published in the Donald Duck Extra
> nr. 4 of this year. For more information about that,
> you can go too the following site:
> http://members.lycos.nl/sanderdonaldduck/index.php

Ah. That looks like a neat cover! But seeing as this is the Dutch
publication, too bad you'll not see the extra gag contained on the half-page
that they should be using instead of the inexplicable mid-story splash-panel
with plot recap that you know they will incorrectly use.
It will be interesting to see what they do when they get to my "Dream of a
Lifetime" where I finally adopted the *foolproof* double-version of my
stories, where a publisher *can't* leave anything out -- the worst they can
do is stupidly print an entire extra page of useless plot recap in the
middle of a story.

> From: Gary Leach <bangfish at comcast.net>
> Subject: Flip (Flop)
> Well, you may be right. The placement of the UPC symbol was a regular
> aggravation. Still, I can't say that I recollect flopping even that
> cover - blacking out the name "Titanic" on the stern of the ship, yes,

That's why you blacked out "Titanic". So it wouldn't say "Cinatit". I didn't
use that gag until "Dream of a Lifetime".
Oh -- you also flip-flopped the previous cover on U$ #294, with the Beagle
Boy and Teddy Roosevelt. Again, note the backwards dedication on the dollar
bill between $crooge's feet. It was the oval $crooge portrait inset that was
causing the problem. Bruce wanted the portraits in the upper left, but the
covers already were finished, drawn for the German publisher, so sometimes
the portrait wouldn't fit.

> So maybe you don't do it consciously; your covers are nevertheless
> remarkably symmetrical. Many artists do covers that, when you flop
> them, they just look strange. That's never been the case with yours.

PLEASE don't try to explain that to me! Like I said, it will make me
self-conscious, and worry me to death!