DCML digest #1206

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Jan 6 01:02:27 CET 2003

Eero-Pekka Halinen wrote:
> [...]

Oh, please.
In my many travels, in my daily e-mail correspondence with every country in
Europe so extensive that it would boggle your imagination, I constantly make
it abundantly clear, I constant go out of my way to mention how much I
*admire* all the Europeans who speak and write more than one language...
sometimes three or four. Me, who can barely speak and write ONE. And I
constantly offer my compliments to the Europeans who almost universally
speak and write *better* English than my Kentucky neighbors. I make a
definite POINT of ALWAYS praising their English. I write it in virtually
every e-mail I send to the many young Euro fans who write to me daily, and
you'll hear me saying it constantly in my Euro appearances.
But I will also make jokes if they make a slip that comes out to mean
something in English quite different than what they mean. They know that I
can't speak or write a syllable of their language, so I know they'll have a
sense of humor seeing as I could not POSSIBLY mean it in a critical way.
Sigvald writes and speaks SUPERB English and he knows it! And no, I refuse
to use smiley-face icons. I also don't laugh at my own jokes. If y'can't
take a joke, I can't help ya'.
Quite to the contrary --  I DO appreciate typos. I appreciate how funny they
can be. Mine as well.
("My intentions are to avid actions that will harm the atmosphere"... I'm
still chuckling!)