Aracuan-Woody-Dodo-DAFFY

CarmenG@aol.com CarmenG at aol.com
Sat Jan 25 02:33:02 CET 2003

This discussion of crazy birds gives me an opportunity to open a
controversial can of worms. Most cartoon lovers adore the Chuck Jones shorts
in which Daffy is a bad-tempered, jealous character--a kind of hot-headed
loser. The most famous of these are those in which he's paired with an
ultra-cool Bugs Bunny.
    My own take on this is that it is untrue to the original
characters--especially of Daffy. I mean, he started out as...daffy! He was
flat-out, fall down FUNNY. I would laugh out loud at the fast-paced looniness
of Porky's Duck Hunt, or The Great Piggy Bank Robbery. My theory as to what
happened is that Chuck Jones remade Daffy into--DONALD Duck. Jones, for all
his comedic genius at Warner Brothers, always seemed to me to be a
Disney-style storyteller. If you look at his early sentimental shorts, he
seemed to want to be in that Disney mold. (Didn't he do Sniffles?)
    Now, one Donald Duck is enough. (Too much, in fact, which is why I love
how Carl Barks expanded his character to include much more than these baser
qualities.) I enoyed laughing with the truly daffy Daffy Duck and have
trouble accepting the selfish, more villainous character he became.
    Am I being inconsistent here? I hope not. What I mean to convey is that
Donald evolved into a richer character, while Daffy DEvolved into a baser
character (and I'm not sure I would agree that what he became was more
complex).
    I'm interested in what others think. The bottom line is, of course, that
Ducks are Funny.

Carmen