Artist's Enthusiasm

Kai Saarto ksaarto at mbnet.fi
Tue Jan 28 21:03:52 CET 2003

Rob Klein wrote:
 > I agree one hundred percent with Daniel.  After an artist draws (and
 > writes) for the same character after several years, the spontaneity,
 > freshness, variety of their work may suffer to some extent.  I've
 > seen evidence of this in the work of most artists (including myself).
 > And, that includes musicians, all other forms of art and just about
 > any endevour in life. That does NOT mean the artist has less
 > enthusiasm for the work, (although that can sometimes be a

OK, I can buy that. Still, lack of spontaneity, freshness and variety
(to use your terms) could _also_ be a sign of less enthusiasm. But as
Daniël said, I am not the person to say who is feeling what.

 > To my taste, both Barks' and Gottfredson's works lost freshness and
 > spontaneity in their later years, but still remained at an acceptable
 > level (if not as well- loved as their earleir and classic period
 > works) because of experience.

Yes, I agree. IMO Barks did his best stories and best artwork in the
early/mid-fifties (I am not familiar enought with Gottfredson to say
this or that, but I like him too).

Maybe artist should take a break once and a while and do something
different. Maybe Don can tell us if his little break had any effect on
his work morale (not that I'd think it was lacking in the first place).

Anyway, thanks for Rob and Daniël for making my lame comment to an
interesting thread!

--
- Kai Saarto
http://www.perunamaa.net/donrosa