1st US Donald Duck comic book

H.W.Fluks@telecom.tno.nl H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl
Tue Jul 1 10:11:37 CEST 2003

Tom:

> "DONALD DUCK (Walt Disney's) (10 cents)
> "Whitman/K.K. Publications 1938 (6-1/2x11-1/2", B&W, cardboard-c)
> "(Has D. Duck with bubble pipe on-c)
> "nn-The first Donald Duck & Walt Disney comic book; 1936 & 1937 Sunday
> strip-r (in B&W); same format as the Feature Books; 1st
> strips with Huey, Dewey & Louie from 10/17/37"

> I don't think this comic is in I.N.D.U.C.K.S. (at least I
> couldn't find it).

I couldn't find it either. 8-)

> I've got a copy of this comic book and would be happy to index it for
> I.N.D.U.C.K.S.

You're very invited to do so!

> but I've got questions on how to identify the reprinted
> stories to the date (and more importantly the story codes) of
> the original Sunday comic strips.

The first thing that would help is a good description of the gag, plus a list of who appears in it.
We have a quite complete list of descriptions of the Sunday strips from before 1938, so finding the right dates for the reprints should not be too difficult.

> Also I need to know how to handle the "modification"
> of the stories (as many panels were clearly added to, and possibly had
> dialog added).

Usually "minor" changes like this are noted in a plain comment.

> Maybe Harry can help me?

Sure! I can send you a list of candidate Sunday strips, if you want (contact me in private mail about this). And don't worry about the exact lay-out of your index: I'll change whatever is necessary to fit it in Inducks.

--Harry.