More Comments On US 319, etc.

ZeldasTriforce@aol.com ZeldasTriforce at aol.com
Thu Jul 3 09:10:25 CEST 2003

Hi all!

I was wondering about Carl Barks' 'Terror Of The Beagle Boys' in US 319. Did
anything strike you as different about its presentation compared to the rest
of the stories in the book? To me, the line art, colors, seemed sort of
pixeliated, 'fuzzy' compared to the other stories. Is this just me? I have the same
story in CBL Set 8, and the line art certainly doesn't look that way. I wonder
if for some reason, Gemstone couldn't grab ahold of a good print of the story
or if something went wrong on the computer end of the process.

Another thing I must mention about Carl Barks/Gemstone. I'm a big Barks fan,
he's a true inspiration to me. That being said, I'm glad Gemstone doesn't seem
to be doing what I at first feared it would do, which is basically fill up
big portions of the books with Barks reprints. They're great stories, but unless
they're a Barks story that I (or some other Barks fans) haven't read already,
they can be 'boring'. In the sense you've read them before, why pay a portion
of the book price to read them again, etc.

I certainly understand the need to introduce Barks to a new generation of
fans, but I also appreciate Gemstone's somewhat measured approach to it. Now
other writers/artists will have a better chance to gain exposure(or more exposure)
among readers and gain some new fans as well.

Also, does anyone here (I'm sure Gary will know, but perhaps others as well)
what stories will be appearing in the first issue of the travel-size Donald
Duck Adventures? Any previews of what stories will be in there is appreciated.
:)

And I'll have to call the comics shop to see if they've got in a new(or
first?) shipment of WDC 634. Mustn't let a William Van Horn story be released
without my reading it. Or Pat Block for that matter.  :)

Derek Smith