German publishig av Lo$ (for Don Rosa)

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Fri Jul 4 18:44:04 CEST 2003

Hi all, and especially to Don Rosa!

Some time ago Don posted a message to DCML in where he asks for help with
the new German edition of Lo$. I can't help him by checking the old German
edition for errors, but there is another point where I may have a helpful
tip. It's about the coloring of the McDuck coat of arms and banners shown in
part Lo$, part I - "The Last of The Clan McDuck".

As we know Don likes everything in his stories to be correct. It seems
however that the colorists at both Gladstone and Egmont didn't know or
didn't care about heraldic rules when they colored the McDuck coat of arms
and the McDuck banners. As Don now seems to be allowed to give some comments
about how his work should be printed I hope we will finally se those arms in
their correct heraldic coloring - as it's reasonable to think that a noble
family like the McDucks wouldn't allow heraldic errors to appear in their
weapon.

I have written about the McDuck heraldry here:
http://duckman.pettho.com/mcduck/heraldry.html

Recently an expert on heraldry told me that in a heraldic coat of arms there
must be colors (red, blue, green, purple or black) and metals (silver or
gold). There cannot be colors next to each other and not metals next to each
other. Based on this he told me that a possible correct coloring of the
McDuck Coat of arms would be to use the blue or the red background with the
golden coins as shown in the Scandinavian scans presented in my page, and
the silver (white) bend (the ribbon) with the black McDucks heads as shown
in the US-version of the scans. The border shown around the shields could be
in silver or in gold, but *not* in a combination of those as shown in one of
the Scandinavian scans.

Unless there's a special reason for it, all coat of arms and the banner
should be colored equally.

Hope this is helpful!