Born on the 4th of July (about alcohol in Disney-stories)

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Fri Jul 4 19:48:07 CEST 2003

Monsieur Grøsfjeld wrote a little something like this:
> Hi all!
>
> Happy 4th of July for all Americans here! As you will see it has been a
> happy day here in Stavanger too!
>
> [yabb yabb yabb]
>
> But to make this slightly on-topic - are there many stories in where there
> are shown or mentioned the use of alcohol? I can think of Don Rosa's "The
> Sharpie of the Culebra Cut" in where Teddy's Cognac is mentioned, but are
> there more? Haven't we seen scenes from pubs where the Beagle Boys or
others
> are drinking beer?

I really SHOULDN'T answer this here and now, as I don't have my sources
here, but I figured it would be nice to actually answer it on July 4th (or,
at least it's still July 4th west of India...)

I remember lots of references to alcohol in my old Donald Pockets. Mainly
old Italian stories...

One I remember specially is one where Scrooge and Rockerduck compete on
having the biggest collection of rare wine bottles. One of the things
happening in this story is that Rockerduck gets fooled into trying to bribe
a man with a barrel of beer. Turns out this man really HATES beer, so
Rockerduck gets thrown right out of his castle IN the barrel, still full of
beer.

I also remember seeing Scrooge drinking a drink in a bar (I _think_ I saw
that one in Donald Pocket #2, but...) The drink had "Klondike" in its name,
and was clearly a drink Scrooge had drinken a lot of in his youth. At least,
it was way too strong for Donald. Scrooge on his hand drank it as if it was
water.

And, even though this is not alcohol-related, I must mention that one of my
favorite comics EVER is the one where Scrooge is opening a tobacco plantage,
and have Donald and Fethry doing research for him by picking up cigarette
ends all over Duckburg to find out what brands are popular. And then, a
maharaja (or was he a prince?) picks up Donald and rents him to be a hitman.

I don't have my sources for hand, but I guess someone else can give it to
you - if they can't, remind me in late August and I can dig it up for you.