Phantom of Notre-Duck and Zorro

Arthur Faria afaria at brasopolis.com.br
Sun Jul 6 21:23:42 CEST 2003

And Daniel van Eijmeren wrote:

> Reading this, I'm tended to think that in Barks' "The Phantom of
> Notre Duck" (US 60), the phantom looks and acts a bit like Zorro.
> Could this mean that Barks's story may have been inspired by this
> Zorro episode, or by a comic book adaption of that episode, in case
> any exists?
> Or could it be the other way around, namely the Zorro's TV episode
> having been inspired by Barks's story?
> What are the details of that Don Diego Zorro TV episode?

I think Barks' "Phantom of Notre Duck" story was
inspired in two classical stories: "The Phantom of the
Opera" and "Hunchback of Notre Dame".

About that Zorro episode, "Zorro rides to the Mission",
it was aired in 10/24/57 (and was beautifully coloured
in 1992). I'm not sure it has served as inspiration
for Barks, although it has never ocurred me since now
that yes, Barks's phantom looks and acts a bit like
Zorro, swinging on a bell rope, making tricks on
Garcia and soldiers, and wearing of course a black costume and mask...

-- Arthur.