Gottfredson Interview/Vic Lockman, etc.

ZeldasTriforce@aol.com ZeldasTriforce at aol.com
Mon Jul 7 05:08:20 CEST 2003

Thanks Timo for the link to Comics Journal. It was very interesting to listen
to(not to mention knowing what Gottfredson's voice sounded like).

To Gary: Thanks for answering my questions about the Barks story. And for
explaining why WDC 634 wasn't in my area(plus the DDA info).

Speaking of Vic Lockman, for years, I had gone to the restaurant Shoney's.
And they have these cartoon characters on their kids meals like Shoney Bear, a
raccoon, etc. And it was only recently that I learned that Lockman drew those
characters. When I compared the art to his Duck stories, it was obvious. It's
amazing that I grew up with those Shoney's characters for so long, not knowing
that one of the Duck artists I knew of, had drew them.

As for Barks being partly inspired by Zorro(if he was), perhaps it was a
comic book adaptation of the TV episode, because I don't think Barks even owned a
TV until the 1970's or so(thus cutting down on his chances of having seen the
episode).

Derek Smith