Dressing

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Mon Jul 7 15:55:49 CEST 2003

DANIEL:

> Does "dressing"
> have a double meaning, for example? Or could the dressing be custard?
> Last year I've had a Thanksgiving diner here in The Netherlands,
> prepared by an American girl. I liked it very much, but I also found
> it unimaginable sweet and mighty. So, I really wouldn't be surprised
> if American people put custard over their turkeys. Can someone let
> me know if that's the case?

"Dressing" is otherwise known as "stuffing", i.e., it is the stuff you put
inside a bird before roasting, and which you then serve as a side dish. If I
am not mistaken, the most popular poultry dressing in the US is bread-based,
i.e., it is simply pieces of bread mixed with seasonings. When cooked, it
turns into a kind of flavorful mash, which isn't sweet. In Greece, we use a
different kind of dressing, with rice, ground meat, and various kinds of fruit
and nuts. If you include the fruit (usually raisins, some also add prunes,
Beagle Boy fashion), then the Greek version can be sweet, but I doubt whether
Donald and the kids had this kind of dressing with their turkey!

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"That's why I am here, to pool resources, share information, spread panic and
  sow the seeds of defeat in the fields of our enemies."
-----