Does Zorro like custard pie? / Quizes

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 7 16:44:45 CEST 2003

Hi everyone!

Nils:

>>> For anyone who has access to the story: Dig it out and look again
>>> at panel four on the last page. It's one of the funniest panels
>>> in comic book history.
*digdigdig*
"Oh brother! What a picture that would make!" :D
For some reason, it had me dig for "Mythical Menagerie" and have a look at
the splash panel on p9. Hilarious story.

Arthur, Daniël, Arthur:

>>> Reading this, I'm tended to think that in Barks' "The Phantom of
>>> Notre Duck" (US 60), the phantom looks and acts a bit like Zorro.
>>> Could this mean that Barks's story may have been inspired by this
>>> Zorro episode, or by a comic book adaption of that episode, in case
>>> any exists?

>> About that Zorro episode, "Zorro rides to the Mission",
>> it was aired in 10/24/57 (and was beautifully coloured
>> in 1992). I'm not sure it has served as inspiration
>> for Barks, although it has never ocurred me since now
>> that yes, Barks's phantom looks and acts a bit like
>> Zorro, swinging on a bell rope, making tricks on
>> Garcia and soldiers, and wearing of course a black costume and mask...

Dell comics published the "Zorro" comic book, which featured adaptations of
the episode.
I have "The Complete Classic Adventures of  Zorro by Alex Toth" (Image
omics; 1 volume; 2nd printing, Oct 2001), and below is a link to p 9 (p53 in
the book) of  "The Ghost of  the Mission" (part 1).
http://bobcat74.free.fr/pix/zorro53
This is the part where Don Diego is playing the organ.

As for "The Phantom of  Notre Duck", I guess Barks' main sources of
inspiration were really the literary figures already cited rather than
Zorro; though there is something of  Zorro too in a sense, indeed.

Stop reading here if  you don't want the answer (well, I think) to Daniël's
new quiz!

Treasure Hunt!
In which (Barks) story (stories?) does Donald use a geiger counter & what
for?

Have a nice week!

Olivier

PS:

Now for the true purpose of  this message :D--

>>> "Tch! Tch! Maybe the next one will drop in my hand!"
>>> (Which Barks story?)

The one in a Disneyland album where, precisely, Gyro & Gus leave Disneyland
in the very first panel. they find a planet of  lazy Gus-like creatures who
spend their days loafing around (though this is even too active a way of
phrasing it).
They just lie under trees, waiting for fruits to drop in their laps-- or
better, their hands; hence the quote.
An apple falls in Gus' hand-- "Begiunner's luck!" (if  I remember
correctly).
Great story.
Reprinted in one of  the Gyro albums-- but I am just too lazy to find out
which.